Wi-Fi is ideal for keeping you connected, but if your WiFi is poorly secured, you can put your personal information at risk. Keeping your router password protected and changing it regularly is an essential key to protecting your network and your data. Also, keep your neighbors from stealing your bandwidth! If you want to know how to change your WiFi password, continue reading.
[ 5 Ways to Configure Netgear Router / Configure Netgear Router ]
How to Change your WiFi Password
Simple Steps to Change WiFi Password
Step 1 : Open the configuration page of your router. You can access the configuration page of your router through a web browser on a computer connected to the network. If you can not connect via Wi-Fi because you do not know the password, use an Ethernet cable to connect your computer directly to the router. In this way, you will avoid the need to know the Wi-Fi password.
- Standard router addresses are 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.2.1, 10.0.1.1(Apple) or 10.0.1.1(Xfinity). Enter the address in the address bar of your browser.
- If none of the above addresses gives you access to the configuration page, open the command prompt by pressing Win+R and typing cmd. Once the command prompt opens, write ipconfig and, press Enter. Find the active connection in the list and find the address of Default Gateway. Usually, this is the address of your router.
- If all else fails, press and hold the router reset button for about 30 seconds to return to the factory default settings. Then, find the default address of that router model and enter it in your browser.
- Some routers come with configuration software. If you have previously installed the configuration software, you can use it instead of the web browser interface.
[ Quickly Change your Wifi Configuration using 192.168.l.l IP Address, 192.168.l.l IP Address is a Default Gateway for Router Setup ]
Step 2 : Enter the username and password of your router. Each router requires a username and password to access it. If you did not change this the first time you configured your router, it is most likely that the username is “admin” and the password is “admin” or “password”. Of course, this varies depending on the model, so you should look for your model online to see the exact login information.
- If you have changed the username in the past and you have forgotten it or it is inherited and the previous owner did not restart it, you will have to keep pressing the reset button on the router for about 30 seconds. This will reset the settings to the default values, which will allow you to log in with the default username and password.
[ Recover WiFi Router Password / How to Recover your WiFi Username and Password ]
Step 3 : Open the “Wireless connection” section. Once you have logged into the router, you will have to find the “Wireless Connection” section on the configuration page. The exact name varies depending on the manufacturer, but, generally, you have to look for the option “Wireless connection settings” or “Wireless connection installation”.
- If your “Wireless Connection” section has several subsections, open the wireless security page.
Step 4 : Change the password Look for the “Password”, “Code” or “Shared key” checkbox. You can enter your new password in this box. Some routers will ask you to type the password again to make sure you have entered it correctly.
- Try to create a secure password that is difficult (if not impossible) to guess. It should not be related to anything personal and should include a regular number of numbers, random capitalization and special characters such as “!”, “$”, And “#”.
- A secure password, usually, is 8 characters in length.
[ Improve and Increase WiFi Signal Strength at home / Improve WiFi Signal Strength ]
Step 5 : Take a look at your type of security. There are three main types of wireless encryption: WEP, WPA and WPA2. To have the most secure network, you must use WPA2. You may have problems when connecting with older devices; however, in this case, you could change to WPA or WPA2. It is not recommended to select WEP, since WEP encryption is very easy to hack (it can take less than 30 minutes to decrypt a WEP password).
Step 6 : Change the name of the network. While you’re here, take a moment to change the name of your network if you have not already done so. The name must not include any personally identifiable information, as it will be publicly seen. Changing the name will help you to dissuade people from trying to enter it. Routers with default names are easy targets to hack.
Step 7 : Save the settings Once you finish entering your new password, click on the “Apply” or “Save” option. The location of this option is different for each router, but it is usually at the top or bottom of the page. The router will take a few minutes to process the change and, at that time, all connected devices will be disconnected.
- After changing the settings, you can connect to your wireless network using the new password.
How To Change WiFi Password Easily
Tips to Secure your WiFi Password
- Change the name of the network to anything but your real name. People within your wireless network reach can see the name of your network.
- Make sure your password is secure. Never use passwords like “password”, “12345”, easily discoverable dates, names, etc. Also, never leave your wireless router without a password!
Hope You successfully got to know How to Change your WiFi Password following this simple steps.